Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What to Do When Your Reference Sources are NOT on Linkedin

Dan asked, “If I ask for recommendations, will that tip off my currently employer that I am looking?”

(My response)
That’s always possible. I recognize that some may see a recommendation and think, "Hmmmm ... Dan must be thinking about leaving," but Linkedin is not just a social networking site that people consult when they are out of work or seeking work. It's a business networking site, and more and more, it's becoming commonplace to see recommendations for folks who are actively employed. The more this happens, the fewer eyebrows will be raised when they see one. Of course, each person must determine what they are comfortable with.

If you pursue recommendations, it’s a REALLY good idea to get recommendations from different disciplines (e.g., types of colleagues from other departments, ones that address different strengths that each candidate brings to bear, etc.) as well as different levels of current/former colleagues. I also added "current" because many people wait to leave a company to get references, but I say, "Strike while the iron is hot!"

Here’s one other comment from another of my Linkedin group members that may be helpful:

Agostina wrote, "Marissa, I agree that recommendations are very appreciated by employers in today’s job market where skills and qualifications for candidates are getting higher day by day. Thus, recommendations can make the difference when choosing talent. There´s a very interesting site that I recently discovered for the mere purpose of recommendations (both for getting recommended and endorsing others). Here´s the link: http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmeritbuilder%2Ecom%2F&urlhash=S5zM "

Good luck, and I hope this helps you with your recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment