Monday, November 15, 2010

What Information Should You Include in An Exploratory Letter of Interest to an Employer?

A few weeks ago, a job seeker asked me the following, and below is my response.

(From LL)
“I have been given names of a few companies that I am interested in exploring. At the moment I do not have any contacts that can walk me in the door, however, I would like to send out exploratory letters. Would you briefly give me an overview of what should be said in this type of letter. Once I have a general gist, I will be able to create something in my own words.”

(My response)
Start your letter with a genuine statement of interest in the company to which you are writing. An example of what you might say is, "I am a job seeker in transition, and have been researching employers that I would like to work for, and COMPANY NAME is a company in which I have a strong interest." If someone referred you to a specific contact, be sure to mention that in the first sentence, ideally. If you don't know the name of the head of the department, try calling the receptionist (if there is one) and indicate that you need to direct something to the head of (MENTION DEPT.), and would like that person's name and title. If you cannot get a contact name, simply address your letter to "Director of ENTER DEPT. NAME"). Just remember, if you hear back from the company and are asked why you were specifically interested in working for them, be clear and prepared to share what attracted you to them. An exploratory letter should contain a list of the best skills and experience you have to offer. Ideally it should comprise the type of background employers seek most today. If you're not sure what skills and experience that you possess are the most marketable/in demand, simply pull three to five job postings and circle or highlight the words that represent skills and work style attributes (e.g., organized, team player, detail-oriented). You will begin to see common skills/attributes when you do this. It should also provide a summary paragraph of who you are professionally in terms of a general title, number of years of experience, possibly industries or companies you've worked for, etc. It's a snapshot to "frame" your background. Many job seekers reword the summaries on their resumes and use that as the frame. It all works!

You should also provide a paragraph with "warm and fuzzy" personality and work style attributes. For example: "I am detail-oriented, analytical, excel at problem-solving, and possess solid interpersonal and team-building skills. In addition, I am highly organized and have built a reputation for possessing a strong work ethic and "do what it takes" mentality. My references will confirm that I readily and willingly take on new challenges and within relatively short periods, rise to meet and exceed stated expectations.

Also, it's best to close the letter by stating that you plan to follow up within a week at which time you hope to arrange a mutually-convenient time in which to discuss how your experience can benefit COMPANY NAME. If you do this, be sure to follow up within a week! Create a simple log spreadsheet to keep track of who you said you would follow up with, the date of follow up and the outcome and any next steps. If any one needs a sample log that's ready to go, please comment and provide your email address.

No comments:

Post a Comment